WHEN THE GOLD COAST IS 45 DEGREES OUTSIDE AND 90 PER CENT HUMIDITY THIS SUMMER (OK, WE MIGHT BE EXAGGERATING A LITTLE), THERE’S ONE PLACE WE ALL SHOULD BE…
The Gold Coast has a summer stereotype of hot days spent on sun-kissed beaches.
It’s a place where we seek out refuge from the heat and humidity among waves, or by consuming dripping icecreams in the shade of a beachside palm tree. But here’s an idea. When it’s hot outside and you’ve had your fill of melting confectionary, head to the (literally) coolest place on the Gold Coast – Planet Chill.
You don’t often think about going ice-skating while you are on the Gold Coast but you should add it to the itinerary with thanks to an ice-skating rink located right in the heart of Surfers Paradise at Paradise Resort. Planet Chill is suitable for all kids, big and small (3+ years) and you don’t have to be staying at the resort to enjoy the ice rink – it’s open to the public.
With your Planet Chill entry ticket, you’ll be able to borrow a pair of ice skates (BYO socks, of course) and a helmet. To make it a little easier for beginners to stay on their feet, Planet Chill also offers cute fibreglass penguins for kids to hang on to, to help make those ‘icecapades’ more bump-free. There are also ice hockey sticks and pucks to borrow, for free, if you’d like to practise your shots into the nets. They even have the option for you to DJ your favourite skating tunes, with a digital music library rink-side.
And when you need a break from the ice, you can chill out (pun intended) in the “Chill Zone” with air hockey and foosball tables right alongside the rink.
Planet Chill offers a range of sessions to choose from, with bookings available online or via the tablets located in the resort’s lobby. As numbers for each session are limited, Planet Chill recommends pre- purchase of tickets to avoid disappointment.
THE VITAL INFO
- A two-hour session starts from $20 per child (3-5 years old, $10, with a paying adult).
- If you buy three tickets you’ll get your fourth ticket free!
- Bookings are essential as maximum capacities will apply.
- Cancellations must be made by the booking cut-off times for each session, or the cost will be forfeited.
- Children 0-2 years of age are not permitted on the ice.
- Children aged 5 years and under must be accompanied by a skating adult.
- BYO socks. We suggest wearing a jumper and long pants on the ice.