IF THERE’S ONE THING YOU MUST DO WHEN YOU’RE ON HOLIDAYS, IT’S TAKE PHOTOS. LOTS OF THEM. HERE’S WHERE TO FIND THE BEST LOCAL PHOTOGRAPHIC BACKDROPS TO MAKE YOUR SOCIAL FEED SHINE! WHY NOT MAKE A DAY TRIP OF IT?
There’s a school of thought in our modern society questioning that if something didn’t get posted on Facebook or Instagram, did it really happen at all? No, we’re not talking about this morning’s acai bowl or your brother’s beer-and-BBQed-meat shots (although yes, as an aside, we’re sick of seeing them!) – we’re talking about holiday photos. If you didn’t post an album of beach, pool and cocktail shots from your week in Seminyak, did you really fly to Bali? If you didn’t publish selfies at Coachella, did you really rub shoulders with music and Hollywood royalty?
Whether you’re holidaying here on the Gold Coast or just lucky to call the GC your home, it’s always good to know where you’ll find the best locations for that killer social media shot.
scout sat down with local photographer Jacob Ritchie, who is also director/digital content manager at Two Birds Social (ie. he knows a thing or two about a killer social feed), to pick his brain on capturing the best snaps here on the Gold Coast.
Jacob says you shouldn’t only think of the beach when you think of a great Gold Coast backdrop. He says you want to look for textural backdrops that provide interest and depth. And with such a wealth of options here on the Gold Coast, why not make a day trip of it? Pack your camera, some sustenance, a few outfit changes and your biggest grin, and try to tick off a few of Jacob’s fave local photographic locations:
- The Borrowed Nursery (44 Cronulla Avenue, Mermaid Beach): Lush greenery contrasts against industrial features here. These guys are really geared to photography with venue hire available for serious photoshoots.
- Mexicali (2223 Gold Coast Highway, Nobby’s Beach): Jacob says to look out the murals attached to this taqueria as a great backdrop and the “epic pastels” this location offers.
- Balter Brewing Company (14 Traders Way, Currumbin): Jacob says inside this brewery is an array of textures perfect for your hot shot. And you get the chance to try a local beer while you’re snapping. Two birds, one stone.
- My Burleigh Reno (@my.burleigh.reno): Start scrolling this Insta feed and you’ll have house envy in no time! It’s another serious photographic venue location, but if you’re chasing serious social cred, you’ll find it here.
Having said all that, there’s no way you’re escaping spending time on the Goldie without some inspiring beach photos to really get your social followers jealous. Jacob says his pick of the foreshore is Mermaid Beach.
“It’s uninterrupted and so so clean,” he says.
A little further afield
Here are some other locations that are worth a day trip, to get some great photo album fodder:
- Byron Bay lighthouse
- The Farm, Byron Bay (especially when the sunflowers are in bloom!)
- Best of All Lookout, Springbrook National Park
- Tamborine Mountain (try Rainforest Skywalk